Andreas is internationally renowned as neutral in dispute resolution.
He is regularly appointed as arbitrator, mediator and neutral expert in commercial, corporate and investment disputes. He has helped to resolve more than 75 cases in these capacities.
Andreas assists in resolving disputes from a broad range of industries (e.g., automotive, aviation, food and beverages, rail, gas and power, infrastructure, IP/IT, real estate, renewable energies, telecommunication, etc.) and in corporate disputes (e.g., Post-M&A, D&O liability, shareholder disputes, company strategy and succession disputes etc.). His experience encompasses cases from numerous jurisdictions from Europe (including England and Wales), the US, Russia, the Middle East, Asia and Australia.
Andreas is, a.o., member of the ICC Commission on Arbitration and ADR, Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, CPR Distinguished Neutral, Member of the German Arbitration Institute (DIS), CEDR accredited international mediator and listed in numerous arbitrator and mediator panels.
Andreas is experienced in conducting arbitration and mediation proceedings both in presence and also online using state-of-the-art digital technology.
Further, he is a known specialist in negotiation management advising on complex negotiations, both in deals and in disputes and including strategic advice and software supported litigation risk analyses.
Andreas also practices as attorney in corporate and commercial law (see).
Besides his practical work, Andreas also works as academic in the field of dispute resolution. His research and publications focus on legal and strategic aspects of arbitration, mediation and negotiation.
Andreas teaches as Visiting Lecturer at the University of Oxford, England, within the BCL/MJur/MLF courses “International Commercial Arbitration” and “Commercial Negotiation and Mediation” (see).
Andreas is regularly invited to speak at conferences on dispute resolution topics. Finally, he acts as author of and trainer in vocational training courses on dispute resolution matters for practitioners.
In arbitral proceedings, Andreas acts as sole arbitrator, chairman of arbitral tribunals and party-appointed arbitrator under the rules of all relevant arbitral institutions and also in ad hoc proceedings.
Examples of his track record as arbitrator include:
Sole arbitrator in a shareholder dispute in the consulting industry
Chairman of Arbitral Tribunal in commercial dispute in the waste and recycling industry
Chairman of Arbitral Tribunal in Post-M&A-dispute from the food and beverage industry
Chairman of Arbitral Tribunal in a distribution dispute in the plastics industry
Chairman of Arbitral Tribunals in numerous engineering / construction disputes from the wind energy sector
Chairman of Arbitral Tribunal in a corporate dispute regarding shareholder resolutions
Chairman of Arbitral Tribunal in a commercial dispute out of a commercial agency agreement
Party appointed arbitrator in a commercial dispute from the leasing sector
Party appointed arbitrator in a commercial dispute in the pharmaceutical industry
Party appointed arbitrator in a second arbitration in a Post-M&A-dispute from the automotive, aviation and energy industries
Party appointed arbitrator in a commercial dispute between large telecom provider and insurance company
Party appointed arbitrator in a commercial and technical dispute out of the engineering and delivery of industrial machinery
Party appointed arbitrator in a corporate dispute between large accounting firm and one of its ex partners
Party appointed arbitrator in a commercial dispute between industrial group and software provider out of large software-infrastructure project
Party appointed arbitrator in a commercial and technical dispute out of the solar energy sector
Party appointed arbitrator in numerous shareholder disputes regarding the validity of shareholder resolutions
Party appointed arbitrator in a commercial dispute in the automotive industry
Party appointed arbitrator in a Post-M&A dispute
In mediation proceedings, Andreas acts both as sole mediator and as co-mediator together with other experienced mediators.
Examples of his track record as mediator include:
Co-Mediator in a commercial dispute out of a commercial agency agreement in the machine industry
Mediator in a price adjustment dispute between the owner and the operator of a renewable energy power plant and the related energy company
Co-Mediator in a shareholder and succession dispute between the founding shareholders and CEOs of a machine construction company
Mediator in a Post-M&A and corporate dispute about the termination of a joint venture in the laser industry
Mediator in a corporate and competition dispute between two competing enterprises and their respective shareholders in the industrial heating industry
Mediator in a commercial dispute about claims between a world leading producer of natural cosmetics and its distributor in the USA
Mediator in a shareholder dispute out of a joint venture in the health care industry
Mediator in a commercial dispute in connection with the engineering, sale and installation of industrial equipment in the renewable energy sector
Co-Mediator in a shareholder and succession dispute in a leading automotive distribution company
Mediator in a commercial and engineering dispute between a world leading industrial gas producer and a supplier out of the manufacture and commissioning of an industrial gas filling plant
Mediator in a commercial dispute in the solar energy sector
Co-mediator in a tariff and strategic dispute in a leading speech theatre
Mediator in a commercial dispute between two world leading suppliers in the automotive industry out of a development and delivery agreement for the delivery of a leading automotive OEM
Mediator in a commercial dispute between a wind-power equipment supplier and a world leading customer from the energy sector
Co-mediator in a strategic and shareholder dispute amongst the partners of a leading patent-attorney partnership
Mediator in a commercial dispute between two national railway companies out of the sale of rolling stock
Mediator in a commercial and IT-dispute between a leading IT technology supplier and a nationwide operating customer from the health sector out of a large-scale IT and telecommunication project
Co-mediator in a shareholder and succession dispute between two branches of a shareholder family in a world-leading manufacturer of sanitary equipment
Mediator in a commercial and technical dispute between the supplier of a customized industrial high-tech machine and its customer in the logistics sector
Mediator in a patent and IP-dispute between a leading university and a start-up enterprise
Mediator in a commercial and technical dispute between a world-leading manufacturer of railway trains and a supplier for train equipment
Mediator in a commercial dispute between a world leading automotive OEM and its national supplier partner in a foreign country out of political sanctions
Mediator in a commercial dispute between a national energy supplier and a legal successor of one of its suppliers out of construction work in a nuclear power plant
Co-mediator in a commercial and technical dispute between a world leading train manufacturer and one of its suppliers of electronical equipment for trains
Mediator in a commercial and IT-dispute between a software supplier and a leading industrial manufacturer out of the international implementation of a new ERP system
Mediator in a commercial and technical 3-party-dispute between a leading train manufacturer, one of its suppliers and one sub-supplier out of the supply of train equipment
Mediator in a shareholder and strategic dispute between the shareholders and CEOs of an engineering partnership
Andreas also acts as neutral expert on German law before arbitral tribunals and foreign state courts.
Examples of his experience as neutral expert in dispute resolution are:
Strategic advise on the management of complex negotiations between a large automotive supplier and OEM
Strategic advise on the claims management of a large D&O insurance company
Legal expert in questions of German law in a construction dispute before the Court of Sessions, Edinburgh, Scotland
- Two children
- CPR / CEDR Advanced Mediation Skills Training (2020)
- CEDR Programme for Investor State Mediation (2018)
- Partner at Zwanzig Hacke Meilke & Partner (2005 to date)
- Lawyer at Hengeler Mueller (2003-2005)
- Admitted to the Bar (2003)
- Second State Exam in law (2002)
- PhD in law from Muenster University (2001)
- First State Exam in law (1999)
- Leiden Law Courses (1996)
- Law studies at the universities of Heidelberg, Leiden and Bonn (1994-1999)
- Visiting Lecturer at the University of Oxford, England (https://www.law.ox.ac.uk/people/andreas-hacke)
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, London, UK
- “Distinguished Neutral” at CPR (International Institute for Conflict Prevention & Resolution), New York, USA
- Member of the Commission on Arbitration and ADR of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), Paris, France
- Member of the German Arbitration Institute (DIS), Bonn, Germany
- CEDR accredited international mediator
- Chairman of the conciliation committee of the Verband der Vereine Creditreform e.V., Neuss, Germany
- One of 12 investor-state mediators on the joint panel of investor-state mediators of CEDR and the Abu Dhabi Global Market (ADGM) Arbitration Centre
- Listed as Arbitrator and as Commercial Mediator at the Abu Dhabi Global Market (ADGM) Arbitration Centre
- Co-author and trainer of the “Munich training in business mediation, Eidenmüller - Hacke – Fries”
- German (mother tongue)
- English (fluent)
- French (basic)
- Spanish (basic)
- Dutch (basic)
Andreas is the author of numerous publications in the field of dispute resolution and co-author of the German standard book on business mediation (“Mediation in der Wirtschaft”, 3rd edition, 2019).
Examples of his publications include:
- „Konflikte gehen nicht in Quarantäne – Lassen sich Mediations- und Schiedsverfahren auch online effizient führen? ZKM Blog des Otto Schmidt Verlags, 20.04.2020 (https://blog.otto-schmidt.de/mediation/2020/04/20/konflikte-gehen-nicht-in-quarantaene-lassen-sich-mediations-und-schiedsverfahren-auch-online-effizient-fuehren/)
- „Micro-Justice and New Law? ‚Swarm Arbitration‘ as a Means of Dispute Resolution in Blockchain-Based Smart Contracts“, in: Aggarwal/Eidenmüller/Enriques/Payne/van Zwieten (Hrsg.), „Autonomous Systems and the Law“ (Munich/Baden-Baden: C.H. Beck / Nomos, 2019)
- „Mediation in der Wirtschaft“ (gemeinsam mit Prof. Dr. Horst Eidenmüller, LL.M. (Cambr.), Dr. Christian Duve, MPA (Harvard) und Dr. Martin Fries, LL.M. (Stanford)), Verlag Dr. Otto Schmidt, 3. Aufl. 2019
- „Brexit Negotiations - Process Proposals“, in: Armour/Eidenmüller (eds.), „Negotiating Brexit“ (Munich/Oxford/Baden-Baden: C.H. Beck / Hart / Nomos, 2017)
- „The PPP Negotiation Model: Problem, People, and Process“ (together with Horst Eidenmüller), Oxford Business Law Blog, 17 March 2017 (https://www.law.ox.ac.uk/business-law-blog/blog/2017/03/ppp-negotiation-model-problem-people-and-process)
- „Ein neues Modell der Wirtschaftsmediation“, ZKM 2016, 168
- „New York Convention II’ to come? Enforcement of International Mediation Settlement Agreements”, DisputeResolution Ausgabe 2, 24. Juni 2015chaftsmediation“, ZKM 2016, 168
- Co-Autor in Eidenmüller/Wagner (Hrsg.) „Mediationsrecht“, Verlag Dr. Otto Schmidt 2015
- „Mediationsbegleitung durch Rechtsanwälte” in Klowait/Gläßer (Hrsg.), Kommentar zum Mediationsgesetz, NOMOS Verlag, 2014
- „Das Experiment - Was macht Heiner Geißler? Was ist das für ein Verfahren zu „Stuttgart 21“? Für eine Klärung durch den Moderator selbst ist es nicht zu spät“ (gemeinsam mit Prof. Dr. Horst Eidenmüller, LL.M. (Cambr.)), Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, 04.11.2010, S. 8
- „Rechtsanwälte als Parteivertreter in der Wirtschaftsmediation“, SchiedsVZ 2004, S. 80 ff.
- „Institutionalisierung der Mediation im betrieblichen Konfliktmanagement“ (gemeinsam mit Prof. Dr. Horst Eidenmüller, LL.M. (Cambr.)), Personalführung 3/2003, S. 20 ff.
- „Die Mediationsvereinbarung - Vertragliche Regelungen zur Vereinbarung von Mediationsverfahren“ (gemeinsam mit Dr. Andreas Nelle, MPA (Harvard)) ZKM 6/2002, S. 257 ff.
- „Der ADR-Vertrag - Vertragsrecht und vertragliche Gestaltung der Mediation und anderer alternativer Konfliktlösungsverfahren“
(Dissertation), Verlag Recht und Wirtschaft, 2001
- Who’sWhoLegal “Thought Leader” and “Global Leader” in mediation (2022) and “National Leader” in mediation and arbitration (2023).”
- BestLawyers, recommended in the chapters Arbitration and Mediation & Litigation.
- brandeins, recommended in mediation and conciliation
- FOCUS, recommended as one of Germany’s top 1000 lawyers